Hokas - Shisha
Is smoking (cigarettes, cigars, pipes and hoka pipe) evil or not?
Bismillah - Allahu 'Alim
First of all -
"Laa elaha illalah wa Muhammadar Rasoolullah"
(None worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)
It means those who claim to uphold that statement accept and put into practice the Commandments of Almighty Allah and the teachings of His Messenger, Muhammad, peace be upon him.
Next, Islam is a way of life, revealed by Almighty God, Allah, showing us what is good and what is evil. Allah asks us in Quran;
"Hasn't (Allah) shown him (mankind) the two ways (good and evil)"
[Surah Balad (90), ayah 10]
Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel, who enjoins upon them what is right and forbids them what is wrong and makes lawful for them the good things and prohibits for them the evil and relieves them of their burden and the shackles which were upon them. So they who have believed in him, honored him, supported him and followed the light which was sent down with him – it is those who will be the successful."
[Surah Al A'raf (7), ayah 157]
Let us examine its effects:
*Smoking is a killer: causes lung-cancer, lung-tuberculosis and heart diseases.
And do not kill yourselves.
[An-Nisaa' (4) ayah 29]
He also says:
And do not throw yourselves into destruction.
[Baqarah (2) ayah 195]
These verses are sufficient to make smoking Haram.
* Smoking is a wasting of wealth.
Spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift, Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the devils, and the Devil (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord.
(Surah Al Isra (17) ayat 26, 27)
* The smoker is unjust to himself as well as his family by burning up his money and his lungs!
* The smokers not only causes harm to themselves, but also inflict harm upon others around them.
The Prophet, peace be upon him, said:
"There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm."
(Saheeh Al-Jami 7517)
* The smokers cause the spread of evil; they smoke openly and thus encourage others to do the same.
* The smokers dislike fasting and praying because they become impatient.
* They want to go for the next "round".
* The smoker becomes an addict.
* The smoker smells bad! His car, home, clothes etc. carry the bad smell too.
From the above, it is clear that smoking is evil and thus it is Haram (unlawful).
If you are under any kind of stress, then turn to Allah, read the Holy Quran, and be with non-smokers.
Seek Allah's help and don’t be enslaved to something that burns you and your money.
By: Dr. Saleh As-Saleh