Have you heard this one?
"Haste makes waste!"
Or is it . .
"He who hesitates is lost!"
(these are opposite).
How can we accept such teachings at the same time?
All to often we, as Muslims, have a tendency to accept sayings and teachings coming outside of our faith and belief system called Islam.
Here are a few more of the common things we say everyday without considering the opposites which we say - every other day: "Contradictions in Advice"
Which is Right?
Read: 17 Pairs of Contradictory Proverbs
1. Look before you leap!
Or is it . . He who hesitates is lost!
2. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
Or is it . . Don't beat your head against a brick wall!
3. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Out of sight, out of mind!
4. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today!
Or is it . . Don't cross the bridge until you come to it!
5. Two heads are better than one!
Or is it . . Paddle your own canoe!
6. Haste makes waste!
Or is it . . Time waits for no man!
7. You're never too old to learn!
Or is it . . You can't teach an old dog new tricks!
8. A word to the wise is sufficient!
Or is it . . Talk is cheap!
9. It's better to be safe than sorry!
Or is it . . Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
10. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
Or is it . . Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!
11. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!
Or is it . . Nice guys finish last!
12. Hitch your wagon to a star!
Or is it . . Don't bite off more than you can chew!
13. Many hands make light work!
Or is it . . Too many cooks spoil the broth!
14. Never judge a book by its cover!
Or is it . . Clothes make the man!
15. The squeaking wheel gets first grease!
Or is it . . Silence is golden!
16. Birds of a feather flock together!
Or is it . . Opposites attract!
17. The pen is mightier than the sword!
Or is it . . Actions speak louder than words!
- J.Ba. & N.R.
For us as Muslims, the Quran and the teachings of Muhammad, peace be upon him, never offer advise in contradiction to themselves. The above lesson should teach us the value of our deen, Al Islam