Have you heard this one?
"Haste makes waste!"
Or is it . .
"He who hesitates is lost!"
(these are opposite).
How can we accept such teachings at the same time?
All to often we, as Muslims, have a tendency to accept sayings and teachings coming outside of our faith and belief system called Islam.
Here are a few more of the common things we say everyday without considering the opposites which we say - every other day: "Contradictions in Advice"
Which is Right?
Read: 17 Pairs of Contradictory Proverbs
1. Look before you leap!
Or is it . . He who hesitates is lost!
2. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
Or is it . . Don't beat your head against a brick wall!
3. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Out of sight, out of mind!
4. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today!
Or is it . . Don't cross the bridge until you come to it!
5. Two heads are better than one!
Or is it . . Paddle your own canoe!
6. Haste makes waste!
Or is it . . Time waits for no man!
7. You're never too old to learn!
Or is it . . You can't teach an old dog new tricks!
8. A word to the wise is sufficient!
Or is it . . Talk is cheap!
9. It's better to be safe than sorry!
Or is it . . Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
10. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
Or is it . . Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!
11. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!
Or is it . . Nice guys finish last!
12. Hitch your wagon to a star!
Or is it . . Don't bite off more than you can chew!
13. Many hands make light work!
Or is it . . Too many cooks spoil the broth!
14. Never judge a book by its cover!
Or is it . . Clothes make the man!
15. The squeaking wheel gets first grease!
Or is it . . Silence is golden!
16. Birds of a feather flock together!
Or is it . . Opposites attract!
17. The pen is mightier than the sword!
Or is it . . Actions speak louder than words!
- J.Ba. & N.R.